Monday, October 11, 2010

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - The Movies

After I read through the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series again, I of course wanted to watch the movies again. Because this is one of the only cases I've found where the movies are just as good as the books. They don't follow the books exactly, especially since the books cover events happening in four years and the movies jump from year one to year four. But they stay true to the characters and to the overall themes - of the entire series, and of each girl's experiences. I think it's very rare for that to happen - that a movie so perfectly matches my image of what happens in the book that the two become blended together in my mind, and when I read the books, I "see" scenes from the movies in my mind.

I love how the second movie, simply titled The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, weaves together some stories from different books, particularly with Bridget and Carmen. They do it so seamlessly that if you haven't read the books before seeing the movie, there's no way you could tell that they were supposed to be separate.

And while I'm discussing the movie, I have to mention - the four girls' acting is so so so amazing! They're one of the main reasons I felt the movies are true to the books - these girls obviously really knew their characters before they started to act, because every motion, every inflection, every wrinkle of the forehead is so in character. And the way the four of them fit together - it seems so natural, as if we're really just listening in on a real foursome's conversation. Take the first scene they're in in the first movie - they're walking down the street, window-shopping. Their voices overlap, they jostle each other, they tease each other with a word or a look - it's so real. They make the whole story come to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment