Sunday, November 21, 2010

Indulgence In Death

Author: J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts)
Publisher: G.P. Putnam (Penguin)
Released: November 2, 2010
Genre: Romantic Suspense, Futuristic Police Procedural

Reading this was like meeting an old friend and settling back into comfortable conversation. This is the first time I'm reading the new book in the series as it was released without catching up on the books I'd missed out on up till then. And I like it!

I love how easy it was to fall back into the rhythm of Eve and Roarke's relationship and then into Eve's work and interactions with everyone else. I liked that the book started off with Eve and Roarke on vacation. That part is usually between books but not featured in the book itself. This trip had nothing to do with the case in the rest of the book, but it was a nice interlude. I was also happy that Eve and Roarke don't (really) fight in this book. Fighting is a part of what makes their relationship, I know, but still, it was nice to have one book where everything was good and they stayed happy - or as happy as they ever are.

One thing that really struck me when I was reading this is probably because of the copyediting and proofreading course I'm taking now. I guess I can appreciate more how hard it is to maintain characters and plot points across such a huge series. And though I know now that there's a backup team ensuring continuity, I still think it's Nora Roberts's genius that keeps the tone and the characters so consistent throughout the series. Within the book, as well, each character has his/her own individual voice. And add to the amount of work and thought that takes, that Nora keeps writing regular romance novels as she writes these and has to keep these characters straight - all I can say is - wow!!

Now that I've experienced reading the newest book on its own, I'm so looking forward to the next book already!

No comments:

Post a Comment