Thursday, December 29, 2011

Overbite

Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: William Morrow (HarperCollins)
Released: 2011
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: Bought
Series: Sequel to Insatiable
Challenge: None

After falling in love with and then sending away Lucien, the perfect man who just so happened to be a vampire - and not any vampire, but the prince of darkness - Meena joined the Palatine Guard, a branch of the Vatican dedicated to wiping out all demons. But Meena is hitting walls in the Palatine, especially with Alaric, and then Lucien shows up again. Things get way out of control as nothing is what Meena thought it was, and she doesn't know whom to trust or where to turn for love.

Overbite had a lot to live up to, after Insatiable. And it does a pretty good job of it! I must admit that I missed the suave, charming Lucien of Insatiable, and I somehow couldn't get to really like Alaric much - I felt bad for him, but I didn't actually like him. But Meena's confusion is shown very clearly, and I did like the way Meg revealed things about Lucien to the reader before Meena knows about them, so that we understand her conflicted feelings while shouting at her "No, don't go there!"

The mystery angle of the book is really done well. I had a niggling feeling about what does end up happening, and when the end, and the final battle, came, I thought "Aha! Thought so!" Very satisfying. But I didn't know for sure until then, and I love how Meg sets things up to be ever so slightly revealing while actually concealing more than ever. I'm not so happy with everything that happens at the end, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is an excellent sequel to Insatiable.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so the title made me giggle and I'm running to add it to my TBR list. I like Insatiable, but was not absolutely crazy about it; maybe this title will let me know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word of caution - I loved Insatiable, but I wasn't so impressed with Overbite. It's a decent book, but if you're looking to up your opinion of this set, don't depend on Overbite doing that.

    ReplyDelete