Monday, May 21, 2012

Spell Bound




Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion
Released: March 13, 2012
Genre: YA Paranormal
Series: Hex Hall
Source: Kindle
Challenge: Witchy Books, YA/MG Fantasy
Sophie's been through a lot. After she found out she was a demon, not just a regular witch, she spent some time getting to know her demon father, juggling Archer, her warlock boyfriend, who happens to be part of the Prodigium-hunting Eye, and her fiancee Cal, and finally ending up with her powers removed as everything seems to be going to hell. Spell Bound opens with Sophie waking up in a strange place after taking the Itineris hoping to find the Brannicks, another group whose mission it is to wipe out Prodigium. But more than ever in this book, Sophie learns that nothing is as it seems. And now that the Cassnoffs are putting their horrifying plan into motion, it's up to Sophie and her band to stop them. They'll go to hell and back - literally - to prevent them raising a demon-army to have all of Prodigium under their control.

First of all, I'll come right out and say - I love this book, and that makes it a total of three-for-three that I love in this series. This third book is darker in tone, and lots more pure evil goes on, but throughout it all, Sophie remains her usual snarky, sarcastic, funny self. I love how she pops out with the most inappropriate comments just when the tension gets so thick I can practically feel it pulsing off the page.

And for once, there was a love triangle I didn't find fault with at any time! It helped that Sophie is very clear on how she feels about each boy - she loves Archer, and she loves Cal - just not in the same way. The way it plays out, though, with a little supernatural twist, is really good, though it makes it hard for Cal a bit. Elodie has something to do with that - reaching back from the grave to continue causing trouble! Though to her credit, she does more good than harm in this book.

The thing that struck me most about the book is the description of Hex Hall when Sophie goes back. The sense of decay and neglect is so vivid, that I almost smelled the mold and mustiness of the decrepit buildings. And then, at the end, when it's restored, I felt like I was walking out of a dank, damp cave into sunlight. It's Rachel's way with words that does that, creating a scene that jumps off the pages like that.

And I have to say, I love the ending. I did wonder if Rachel would tie everything up neatly for Sophie and her clan. And I really like that that's not what happens. They get rid of the Casnoffs, but at a price, and that still doesn't take care of all their problems. But it's a genuinely satisfying ending, all the same.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this book so bad. I hated how we were all left hanging there after Demonglass. I sure hope everything turn out ok. It wasn't looking good for certain beloved characters at the ending of book #2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Don't count on finding everything out within the first pages of the book, though - and be prepared for shocks and surprises! There was one sentence where I just stopped and stared at the page willing the words to disappear...

      Delete